6/3/16

henceforth expecting . . . (part 1)


As far as I know, I've never had what I would call a vision.  Yet, I have had a number of experiences such that I felt I could almost "see" certain things, in my spirit.  It's hard even to describe; and I don't want to try to explain that now.  But I do want to share one such of those experiences, which occurred to me a couple of evenings ago.

While driving near my home, all at once I had a strong "impression" in my thoughts, whereby I could almost "see" the powers of darkness suddenly being routed and expelled from a wide region (many square miles?) in the atmosphere above where I live.  It was as if those entities, individual personalities (for lack of better description), were fleeing from various kinds of fortifications in the heavens, as it were, desperate to get away from this geographical area.  As I recall, that experience appeared to me spontaneously, that is to say, unprovoked by anything I was doing or thinking about at that time.  

More important than that ephemeral "vision," however, was the effect which that had, instantaneously, upon my mind.  Which is, that it awakened in me a profound sense that it is possible not only to resist demonic powers but, far more significant, those powers can be ~ and must be put to flight!  I have studied the Bible for several decades; I believe and love the Word of God.  Of course, I have long 'known' that Christians have authority in Christ, over demonic forces.  But the experience I just described seemed to bring the truth of Scripture to life in such a way that I suddenly perceived the reality of the possibility of expelling the devil's armies, en masse ~ in precisely the manner in which that appeared to my spirit.

What I "saw" happening in the sky (or, in a dimension) above me, in that moment of time, I knew that God was showing me not only what is possible but, more important, what is God's will.  Yet the force of that revelation seemed to rest not so much upon that "vision" but, rather, upon the combined witness of God's Word.  It was as though the whole testimony of Scripture, concerning the great theme of spiritual warfare, was presented at once to my mind, together with that "vision."  (I'm not trying to make anything more of that experience than what it actually was.  I'm simply trying to remember and analyze it, as best I can.)

Of course, in the couple of days since I had that experience, I have given much thought to what the Bible has to say about putting the devil out.  I must confess (because, I suppose it may be meaningful and helpful to you), that I had perhaps accepted the idea that we must perpetually be engaged in spiritual struggle against demonic powers.  (In fact, I am sure that we must~even, for a time, after that we shall be Raptured.)
However, I was awakened by that "vision," to the fact that we need not, indeed we ought not, perpetually be struggling against the SAME demon powers.  For, that is not victory, it is not conquest, to be deadlocked in some never-ending battle with the devil. 
The devil and his minions are a defeated foe.  The Bible tells us so.  Why, then, has God allowed those wicked spirits to continue to trouble mankind, even following Christ's victory at Calvary?  Knowing that God has the most excellent reasons for everything He does; I have tried to understand God's purpose(s) in not yet having destroyed all of the devil's kingdom.  I further believe that, as Christians, we should be able to speak intelligently, according to Scripture, to that question.  Where it involves the Christian, then, I believe that God uses the tribulations of this present world (behind much of which, tribulations, are demonic powers), for several purposes, i.e., to teach us:
  • the absolute necessity of our dependance and reliance upon God;
  • the greatness, goodness, and fidelity of God in all of His many attributes (This is very broad and deep.  It essentially means "getting to know God, as He is.");
  • the principles of spiritual warfare (This also is a very broad and deep area.  It involves God's honor; as well as it has much to do with essential realities of the world(s) of spirits~especially, the realm of human persons; and, it also seems to have something to do with preparing us for the world which is to come.)
I do not mean to suggest that this earthly life is nothing other than a kind of learning experience.  Truly, for every soul, human existence entails a life-and-death struggle; it is not a game (as some have wickedly accused God).  Nothing else bears witness to the seriousness of mankind's battle with sin and with the devil, as does the sacrifice of Christ.  And I am convinced that very few (myself included) have ever yet comprehended the full meaning and implications of that.  But it is precisely in proportion as we do understand the meaning and implications of Christ's death, resurrection, and Ascension, that we are thus enabled and empowered to serve, in lesser or in greater capacity, as soldiers of Jesus Christ.

It appears to me, though, that most professing Christians know very little about spiritual soldiering.  Yet, Christ our King commanded that we must not only "know" but also "do:" because, he himself suffered unto death, in order to secure the victory unto us, in this warfare.

Now, I want to return your attention to the image at the top of this post.  You will observe that the enemy (seated, with arms upraised) has yielded to his conquerors; he is no longer resisting them.  Why?  Though the reason is obvious, yet it needs to be stated: it is only because that he (as the loser) was engaged and then overcome by determined (and superior) forces.  An important aspect regarding the superiority of those forces (as seen in the above image), is due to the collective (united) power of the conquerors.

How can we, as Christians, hope to overcome an opponent which we are unwilling to engage as an enemy?  How much less may we hope for victory, if we are unwilling to engage that enemy with the determination to prevail?  And how should we presume to overcome an enemy host~if we are unwilling to fight together as a united Body of Christ?

"We wrestle not against flesh and blood," the Scripture says; but it doesn't stop there: "...but [we wrestle] against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Ephesians 6:12).  That sounds to me like a whole lot of wrestling.  To be sure, it is: if we are following Christ as we ought to be.
"The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." (Exodus 15:3) 
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war." (Revelation 19:11)
"He doth judge."  "And make war."  All the way till the end.

Some time ago and in another essay, I mentioned that a powerfully motivating passage of Scripture, for me, is the verse in Psalm 78:9, which states: "The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle."  That one verse seems to pour out reproach and contempt upon those unfaithful Ephraimites.  They had the best weapons; they were well aware of the battle; their companions needed and depended upon them; their help might have made all the difference in the outcome; but they turned back!  Traitors!  If you read that verse in context of the entire Psalm (78), you will see that God gave them up.  The verse I quoted (v. 9) begins the Psalmist's "dark parable," in which he sets forth the case of "the children of Ephraim" to expose their treachery, and as example for future generations, of what not to do.

What is God's mind concerning us, at this present hour?  Isn't that an important question?  Can you say that you know the answer to that question?  I can.  And I do.  God is wanting to "shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him" (2 Chronicles 16:9).  Is that possible, today?  Yes, it is.  God has provided everything we need, in fact, for that purpose.  We have the whole Word of God; Christ was slain, and raised up, and glorified, and exalted; the Holy Ghost has been given.  And we have two-thousand years of Church history, for our learning and admonition and encouragement.

Still, it remains for us, through Christ, to "take" the Kingdom of God, and that "by force" (Matthew 11:12; Luke 16:16).  According to Scripture, Christ expects for us, as his ambassadors on earth, to impose the victory which Jesus won at the Cross, over the demonic powers:
"But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; from henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool." (Hebrews 10:12-13) 
"Submit yourselves therefore to God. [You] Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7) 
"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils..." (Matthew 16:17)
"These signs SHALL follow them that believe."  Not can, nor might, nor should, but "shall."  And the first thing the Lord says that "believers" shall do, is, they shall "cast out devils."

Isn't it high time that we must wake up to the reality of spiritual warfare, Church?  There have been sermons and seminars and books and CDs . . . all of which supposedly teach about "spiritual warfare."  (There have been a few good ones.)  Where, then, is that great and powerful army of the Lord~among the many thousands who have heard those sermons and read those books?

"It is late, it's very late; but it's not too late."  Arrows (prayers) have been flying heavenward!  And flames of fire from heaven, in response to those prayers, have struck with force upon the heads of our mortal enemies whose encampments are in the air.  I honestly believe that the enemy has been severely weakened, by an ongoing prayer campaign led by the Holy Ghost.  But God keeps urging me to "step it up! press the battle against the enemy!"

We cannot afford to have the mind that ours is a defensive campaign.  But we must have a revelation of the victory of Jesus Christ!  And we must perceive the realities and the eternal consequences of this War.  Then ~
we must sanctify ourselves, and covenant with God to seek out, and to partner with, trusted, holy companions, to win this war, according to Christ.
"And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens." (Hebrews 11:32-34)
I saw them, in the spirit: multitudes of the devil's forces, getting up and running, fleeing away, as if in terror.  I didn't fabricate that in my imagination, but it was revealed to my spirit.  Why would the devils flee from us?  That would be hard to believe.  Except, we have the true, divine Revelation of God's Word, which tells us the whole story.  And it all centers in the fact that Jesus Christ is Lord of all: he is the One who hears and answers the prayers of his people; and he hates the devil and his works; and Christ is "henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool."

That means we are called to pray.  Pray, like our lives depend upon it.  Because, they do.  Both our own, as well as our loved ones', and everyone else's whom God puts in our path.

No comments:

Post a Comment