4/22/17

reality


Last night, I found myself in another world ~ in my dreams.  It was one of those kind of dreams no one likes to awaken from.  It was vivid and beautiful.  But it didn't have the feeling of a dream; it felt so real.  It reminded me that life in this world is not as God intended it should be.  But it also reminded me that a world is coming wherein Love and Truth shall rule, and joy and peace shall flow like rivers to nourish that world.

As I understand the Bible, in order that I may be "found worthy" to inherit that world I must be an "overcomer."  No, I do not mean that by my own strength or goodness or will that I am thus able to conquer every obstacle that stands in my way.  For, the greatest obstacle of all, to my attaining to live in that world, is ~ my own, carnal self.  How, then, can a man overcome himself?  Only, by learning how to submit himself fully to Christ.

Christ is all goodness and truth.  There is nothing else that, in itself and apart from Christ, is good.  No human being who is not living in union with Christ, is good.  That is a hard lesson for us to learn.  I'm sure that is why the Bible says that "we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22).  Through suffering the consequences of our own sins, as well as we oftentimes suffer certain consequences of others' sins, are we then able ~ if we are willing, to apprehend (at least in a measure) the destructiveness of all unrighteousness.

We must learn, too, that "sin" entails a much broader spectrum of wrong-doing (and of wrong attitudes) than what most are willing to admit, or, perhaps, than what they may yet even be capable to understand, in their present state.  Self-righteousness, for example, is an abhorrent thing.  It is the fruit of pride, and of sin's deceitfulness.  And though it seems so easy, and so common, to discern self-righteousness in others, yet rarely does one recognize his or her own self-righteous frame of mind.

It is not easy to humble oneself and to acknowledge one's own weaknesses.  Lately, I have been very deeply impressed, by reason of various (humbling) experiences, concerning the utter impossibility of directing my own path, by means of my own understanding.  I used to think of myself as being quite capable not only of comprehending a very broad range of ideas but, furthermore, of then being able to use my intellect and knowledge to chart a prosperous course for my life.  But I have come to understand it is not possible for anyone to achieve any kind or measure of "success," except, as one allows himself or herself to be led by God.

The Bible says: "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding" (Proverbs 4:7).  The principal thing.  The most important thing.  But what is wisdom?  It is not what most people call "common sense."  Nor is wisdom a collection of facts, a compendium of knowledge, as it were.  But wisdom is living truth revealed ~ which the triune God is the personal embodiment of that: "in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Colossians 2:3).  There is no wisdom apart from God.

Some fool would doubtless object: "Why, then, did God give man a brain?"  To which I reply, that the human spirit (not the brain, which perishes) is the gift of self-conscious life, whereunto the Spirit of the self-existing God seeks to commune with man.  The spirit ~ let us say, the mind ~ of man is a kind of receiver, if you will (each person having his or her own will), whereby each individual is enabled to receive and to learn from God.

The one factor which determines whether any individual shall receive wisdom from God, however, is, the condition of one's heart toward God.  Let me give an example.

Yesterday, I had the rare privilege to speak with a young man, who is a self-professed Muslim, about his religious beliefs.  I found myself approaching him in a manner unlike the way I am accustomed to speak with those whom I suppose they probably have some knowledge of the Gospel.  In my conversation with that young man, I felt that I needed to proceed by discussing the most basic ideas about the nature of God and of one's beliefs.  Although, because of his Middle Eastern appearance, I suspected that he was a Muslim; nevertheless, I did not want to be presumptuous.  The conversation went something like this:
me:    "Do you believe there is a God?" 
him:  "Yes, I do." 
me:    "Why do you believe that?"
him:   "Because of certain experiences I had as a child."
The subject of his being a Muslim didn't even come up in the conversation, until after about  ten minutes or so ~ when he volunteered that information.  I noted with keen interest the apparent condition of his heart toward God.  Never mind, for the time being, what set of religious ideas he may himself suppose that he believes.  He does believe that God exists ~ but not because the Koran says so; nor yet even because the Bible says so: but, rather, because God Himself says so, in that young man's spirit.

What do I mean by relating that story?  I mean that the true and living God is profoundly interested and willing to commune with the spirit of every man.  Christ came ~ not to condemn the world ~ but to save it, by all godly means.  Now, we are the "means" which the Spirit of God desires to use to lead others to . . . wisdom; that is to say, to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

But how can God reveal Christ through me, if I have the habit, instead, of projecting myself to the world? that is to say, my own ideas and opinions and beliefs.  Self-righteousness is not the same as the righteousness of Christ.  Neither can I impart wisdom to anyone else, except, in order as I receive wisdom from God.

Renew.  Restore.  Heal.  Save.  Bless.  REVIVE.  That is God's will.  Practically everyone knows John 3:16: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  But few can recite the very next verse after that (John 3:17): "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

You may be surprised to hear that Jesus is not the only one whom God has sent into the world, hopefully to save the world.  Do not misunderstand me, though; I do not mean to suggest that there is any other Savior besides Jesus Christ.  Rather, I mean that God desires to use those in whom Christ dwells, to reveal Christ to others.  Jesus himself said: "As [God] hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent [you] into the world" (John 17:18).

It seems so simple.  And, in principle, it is.  But if we have not yet learned to put all of our confidence in God and not in man ~ including our own self; and, if we are not then diligent and watchful against the subtleties of pride: we may, as the result, be taken in the devil's snare and held fast by the presumptuous sin of self-righteousness.  Such that our witness shall thus be largely ineffectual, and our joy withered on the vine.

There is a world ~ within the spirit of the redeemed, no less than there is another world that is soon to come ~ "wherein dwelleth righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13).  That is the reality that is worth living for . . .

. . . and which is worth dying unto oneself, for.

No comments:

Post a Comment